22 May 2019

Inbox: Daniel and the Beastly Magistrate


I was asked a question regarding Daniel serving in government. Clearly Daniel was willing to serve (as a slave) in the governments of Babylon and Persia and yet stood his ground regarding overt idolatry. If he refused to worship idols, why didn't he refuse to work for the Beast power? If (as I argue) working for the state was and is truly the wrong thing for a believer to do, why didn't Daniel refuse service altogether just as he and his friends refused to bow down to the king?
And obviously by implication the question suggests that my Christians should not participate in government argument may be flawed.


These questions regarding Daniel are valid. It seems to me that Daniel understood the situation as being ordained of God and that the exile and subjugation to Babylon (and then Persia) were part of God's covenant judgment on Israel. Ultimately we know through Isaiah that the stage was being set for the rise of Cyrus who would (messianically) restore the people to the land. And yet at the same time Cyrus was a Beast as is made clear by both Daniel's visions and John's Beast composite in the Apocalypse.
On the one hand it could thus be argued that Daniel's example would afford an analogous opportunity for Christians to also serve Beast powers in that they too (as Paul says) are ordained of God. And yet like Daniel, faithful Christians will have to stand their ground which will likely lead to persecution. As long as a believer understood that, wouldn't it be permissible?
But that's not what Paul says. His arguments in Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 5ff. and even 1 Timothy 2 (and elsewhere) assume that we as Christians are on the outside, of a different order and therefore we are not to directly participate in the 'ministry' of the sword as it were.
So this might be a case of the New Testament calling us to a higher ethic. I realise that is problematic for some whether due to their understanding of Covenant unity or conversely due to some variety of Law-Gospel hermeneutic.
Also there's no basis in the New Testament for a Christian to seek such power, to voluntarily pursue such offices. In fact I think it's just the opposite. Daniel and Joseph were compelled to serve and Providence informs us (via hindsight) of some of the reasons connected to their placement. It would be presumptuous to take that role to one's self and appeal to Providence. It might be considered a case of tempting God. And even in the Old Testament context, faithful Jews didn't go and seek office in Assyria, Babylon or Egypt.
Leaving aside the blatant errors of Dominionism and its wayward impulses, isn't it possible a Christian could seek office within the sphere of Common Grace? Perhaps he simply wants to help society function better, stave off corruption and the like. This argument certainly has greater viability than the imperatives of Dominionism and its faulty worldview reasoning and theories regarding vocation.
But ultimately I fail to understand how we could be called to come out of the world, to love not the world and its ways, to seek the Kingdom of Heaven and to turn the other cheek when at the same time we are part of a system which represents violence. I realise its God ordained but its mandate is not the mandate of the Church. I think Paul is making this very point in Romans 12-13. To form an alliance with such an entity as the state is to be unequally yoked and to possess divided allegiances. Apart from the specific New Testament passages that assume Christian non-participation in the state, and those that by inference seem to demand separation, the entire ethos of the Gospels and Epistles seem to militate (no pun intended) against it.
But some will argue this just doesn't seem to match up with Daniel's conduct. Perhaps Daniel was nothing more than a bureaucrat par excellence. Maybe he had nothing to do with policing or military functions. Could a Christian do that? There are certainly government jobs that have nothing to do with law enforcement and military violence, right?
I find it hard to parse the functioning of government in such a way. It tends to work holistically and even the bureaucracy would have no teeth if it were not backed up by a very real threat of violence, i.e. the courts and the police. Likewise as I've talked about in the past, when I was in the Air Force I did not actually drop the bombs but I handled them. I unloaded them from incoming cargo aircraft and passed them to the munitions guys who attached them to the fighters and bombers. I was very conscious of my part in the war machine as I watched the jets take off loaded and return empty. The bombs I had handled maybe just hours before had been dropped and had killed people. Some would say I had no culpability. However I was acutely aware of it. I was part of the death machine. Sure, a greater burden of responsibility rested on those who gave the orders, who set the policy and made the plans. They wield the sword but I was only an inch or so from its tip. It made me sick and I wanted nothing to do with it.
What about a child protective services worker? A process server? A clerk in the courthouse? A game warden? A building code enforcer? A secretary at city hall? A public school teacher?
Personally I would want nothing to do with any of these jobs. I see them as connected to the state machine and its violence. In some cases they fulfill a middle-man role. In other instances they must necessarily promote a state ideology. Are they necessary jobs for society? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless it's Caesar's domain. Let his servants fill the slots.
I know the many arguments against this, about handing it all over to the pagans. These arguments seem to exhibit a certain degree of wisdom but ultimately they collapse when considered in light of reality not to mention an examination of Scripture. Even the oft cited salt and light passage from the Sermon on the Mount is (upon closer examination) found to teach something quite different than the common 'preservative' explanation.
I fully realise that some might say my fusion of bureaucrat and sword-bearing soldier is deductive and not supported by any doctrinal text and I will grant there is no proof-text that frames it that way. But again I appeal to the aforementioned New Testament passages as well as the general ethos found in the doctrine of Christ and the Apostles. In the end the state is the sword and I don't think it's too hard to argue that we're not to take up the sword or seek justice from it. Why would we want to partner with it and profit from it?
The problem (to me) seems to be that Paul's teaching doesn't quite match up with Daniel's ethic. And so how to understand this? Again, I look to Daniel's context as well as distinct differences between the Old and New Testaments. The Beast powers are still with us but generally speaking the posture of the Covenant people vis-à-vis the state seems to have changed.
With regard to Daniel, it could be argued that the Old Testament in general had a different posture when it came to questions of the state. Under that order the state could be made holy, sacral and Theocratic. While Babylon and Persia were certainly not of that order, the context of the Old Covenant was such that post-Moses, the Covenant people, the Covenant nation couldn't function apart from a state entity or perhaps we could say, sponsor. It was not possible to return to the Patriarchal pre-Law epoch, though the exile almost forced them to do so. Full compliance with the law was no longer possible even on a theoretical level.
What I'm trying to suggest is that the state carried an additional function or role in the Old Covenant order that it no longer possesses today. The Beast powers that kept the Covenant people in exile were also indirectly providing a shield of protection for the nation so that it could be coherently restored... which was required for the Covenant to remain in effect and for prophecies that had yet to be fulfilled. And the restoration under Nehemiah, Zerubbabel and the like could have been more glorious but for large-scale defections. The Jews who did not return were to some degree apostates and some overtly so. And yet again it was all part of God's providence to be sure. The Jewish Diaspora played its part in the formation of the Church and the failure of the exilic restoration was but another example of shadowy type (and failed type at that) pointing to its ultimate fulfillment in the New Covenant.
But that doesn't let the exile-embracing Jews off the hook. They were still in sin to remain.
To conclude I am broadly suggesting that the entire context of Daniel and the exile finds no parallel in the New Testament. The Church is most certainly a nation (and even an exiled one in a sense) but unlike the Old Testament the New Covenant Israel is international and transcendent and can never find allegiance with or identify with a political body. Daniel could labour under Babylon and Persia understanding (perhaps) that they would play a part in national preservation and restoration. That scenario does not exist today. The Beast powers are still valid agents of Providence but I see no basis for believing that we're called to participate in their order.
For me the only real question is with regard to those who are converted while holding office. What then? Well, I guess I experienced that to some degree. I was converted in concert with my enlistment in the military. Within a matter of months I realised I wanted out and did not want to wear the uniform. I seriously thought about going AWOL and even today there are times I wish I had done so. But what did I do? Well, I took on the bureaucracy which was no small task and Providentially it was the 1990's and a time of downsizing and so I was able to be released somewhat early but not immediately by any means. I finished out my time and yet there were many conflicts and I was threatened with jail at least once. But God preserved me and I was able to divorce myself from that institution and I have never looked back.
I guess those who find themselves holding office and yet coming under conviction that they shouldn't be there will have to make the best of it and ultimately every situation will be different. Life is messy. I think they should try to remove themselves from that situation as soon as possible and I certainly don't think that believers should seek such offices and occupations. The military more than other branches of government is akin to a type of slavery. You cannot simply quit and thus it represents a blatant example that falls under Paul's imperative in 1 Corinthians 7... do not become slaves of men.