31 October 2018

The Feminist Surge: A Result of Ecclesiastical Confusion, Middle Class Assumptions and Para-church Inroads (Part 2)


Where will this end? And more importantly what's happening in so-called Complimentarian circles that suddenly career women have become normative?
Do I doubt the ability of women? By no means but that's not the point.


My wife has received considerable flak for her decision to marry, bear children and keep the home. She was the class valedictorian and people have smarted off to her about her choices in life. One particularly nasty fellow who was in charge of a local scholarship committee quipped that they shouldn't have bothered giving the award to her... indicating that she squandered her life and talents and her college degree was wasted.
Even within the church there are occasions for bitterness. One mother of similar age is an accomplished musician and travels several days a week to run workshops and perform. Given her status she probably commands a lot of money and can make more in a few days than her husband does in a week. She leaves her young children off with family or the husband and drives sometimes 1-2 hours away or more. Then in church gatherings she performs her music and receives great accolade. I use the term 'perform' deliberately in this case. Musically she is quite impressive. No one would dispute that.
Now granted these people I'm speaking of (though of Reformed background) do not hold to their Confessions when it comes to worship and believe she is honouring God in her performance. Obviously their 17th century theological forebears would differ. This woman, who I admittedly don't know very well, is praised as a wonderful mother and a wonderful person.
I am not going to judge her heart. I have no idea what's happening there. As far as her kids, they don't behave in a way I see fit but I will again grant that there are different notions of what constitutes proper behaviour for a child. She receives praise because everyone wants to hear her play on Sunday morning and she's respected because she certainly has gone far in her musical career. Obviously had she not married and had children she could have gone much farther. So indeed I am sure there's been some struggle and undoubtedly a bit of schizophrenia in trying to keep it all together. I've known more than one Reformed woman who is torn. Her parents push for middle-class success, standards and respectability but at the same time you can't really have it without sacrificing much in the way of domesticity and motherhood. Without meaning to, many conservative Christian parents have instilled the feminist impulse (and the consequent seed of bitterness) in their daughters.... all in the name of respectability.
This woman is praised for having found the balance. Now my wife minored in music at college and as a teenager she was often compelled to perform in church. In adulthood she became convicted this was wrong and eventually embraced my view that musical accompaniment really has no place in New Testament worship... let alone performance.
My wife could have gone somewhere with her music. She was certainly told as much from her professors. She chose to marry and be a wife and a mother and thus understood that particular life-path was effectively over.
Likewise I always dreamed of becoming a helicopter pilot and specifically wanted to fly in the bush, in remote areas. Without going into the details of my background I will say this... I had a taste of the life and knew what it was like and I wanted it. I got my pilot's license when I was 19, and was working toward a commercial license with a helicopter rating.
But then I became a Christian and I looked at life differently. Suddenly pouring over all those manuals and books no longer interested me in the same way. I wanted to do something different with my life, something for the Church. Even then I was not swayed by the faulty and worldly reasoning of Dominionism which would say I can build the kingdom through commercial flying, through hauling cargo to the backcountry.
Can a Christian do that job? Yes I suppose. But I wanted to marry and the 'girl in every town' lifestyle of most of the pilots no longer appealed to me. In fact I knew that kind of on-the-road lifestyle would be potentially dangerous for the soul and of course one would never be able to 'be there' for one's family nor be part of a church. My Christianity came first, so I gave it up and moved on with my life.
My wife did the same. She still enjoys the music and has enjoyed teaching it to our daughters. Could she someday be part of a low-key small town group that performs music? Perhaps, but the idea that she would continue to pursue it, leaving her children and husband at home multiple days and nights per week was not an option.*  
If she's bitter (which she's not) it's because of this. She has to listen to others in the church praise this other 'successful' woman when she knows she could have effectively done the same and yet chose not to out of conviction. And yet, the truth is most of the people in addition to loving the performance think well of the family for their respect and status and certainly the lifestyle the income affords. We're considerably poorer and yet no one, not even family members who praise this woman are able to put it together. We've struggled to keep my wife's instruments in good repair and of course I haven't flown an airplane in decades. It's one thing to run an aircraft for a living but as a hobby, it's a rich man's game.
And yet why can't friends and family members put it together? Who has demonstrated themself to be obedient? I would argue my wife has. She seeks no accolade but at the same time grows weary of hearing how 'great' the other party is. It's bad enough trying to be an anti-feminist woman in the 21st century but when what is essentially feminist behaviour is celebrated... it's a bit much.
Of course this other woman had a top notch education and prior to marriage she had a taste of the professional world and what it had to offer. Her Reformed parents spent a lot of money on her education. Was she really going to just give it all up? She should, but it's not realistic is it?
I argue that feminism has entered conservative circles through the values of the middle class. Always seeking respectability this class is unwilling to be deemed as 'weird' or 'strange', out of step or archaic. Since a lot of Evangelicals and particularly Reformed believers make good money the fact that their wives stay home is deemed 'acceptable' because they're still able to maintain the lifestyle and standard of living. When it's not acceptable is when you're working class or poor and your wife stays home. Then people react and look at you strange and you are judged as immoral. I can testify that it's not always a fun position to be in.
Evangelicals and Confessionalists are willing to break with society... to a point. And that is the point.
They reject hard feminism and much of what it entails but they have largely embraced soft feminism. In today's Evangelical circles this means acceptance of the house husband, the stay-at-home dad. I guess people have forgotten what an object of ridicule John Lennon was back in the 1970's for doing the same thing. He even wrote a song about it.
And yet today this has become normative and accepted in Evangelical circles. If Confessionalists are allowing women to teach in their seminaries and are normalising women in authority... under the greater umbrella of Church activity, then they're on a bad road. And where it will end... no one knows.
Similar issues have been raised with regard to Christian women in politics. The answer for me is easy. Christians shouldn't be involved. And yet obviously Evangelicals and Confessionalists disagree with my views. That said, the candidacy of Sarah Palin generated some division even among them in 2008. Her defenders argued she wasn't running for an authoritative office in the Church. Her opponents said Christian women shouldn't be seeking authority and a few brave souls were even willing to point out that she was abdicating her responsibilities as wife and mother. Both points made by her opponents are true. Whether Palin or Huckabee-Sanders or any of that lot are true Christians or not I leave for another discussion. But the simple fact of the matter is they (apart from being rotten wives and mothers) are in sin and are promoting feminism within the Church. Much more could be said about the likes of faux-feminine feminists like Ann Coulter, Tomi Lahren and other Right-wing hussies who pretend in their wantonness to be anti-feminists but in reality are using their charms to earn money and gain a voice. It's a different type of feminism, one that would abhor deBeauvoir or Freidan and yet Third-Wave 'girly' feminist values are just as anti-Christian as their predecessors.
This commentary will strike many as deranged and yet I can safely say that were this read forty years ago no one in conservative Christian circles would think so.
Why is that? Are we only talking about subjective cultural values or some kind of generation gap?
Or, has something changed? Something in principle, something ideological? Now I don't think everything was bliss in the 1970's or even the 1920's. The family has been under assault for generations and its enemies are myriad and they're not just coming from liberal quarters. 
And yet there were still basic notions, sensibilities and core values which many Christians still held into the 1970's that were all but abandoned in subsequent decades... bringing us to today. What little of the old values that remained effectively died off with the older generation.
Again, the 20th century values of Christian conservatives are not always in line with Scripture but on questions of the family, the role of women and the understanding of gender roles, they at least stand (more or less) in line with historical Christianity. Today's ascendant and waxing feminism does not. It is entirely novel.
I am willing to question historical norms and yet I also believe that most teachings have been held at some point in the past. In other words though my own views may be out of the mainstream and seem extreme and fringish to some, there are historical precedents. Do they always fit together in some kind of organic continuous chain leading up to the present? No, and I think those who think in such terms err.
I don't hesitate to reject something like Christmas and even though it's been around for 1700 years I can still point to the New Testament and the Early pre-Constantinian Church and safely say they did not celebrate it. It was a novelty born of the 4th century and an unbiblical one at that.
Additionally I can point to a minority of figures in Church history that have rejected it. My position may be a minority one but it's not novel.
Modern day feminism is a novelty born of the Enlightenment and in many ways was and is a reaction to some of the problems generated by industrialisation. It's not hard to see why it came about and why so many people have embraced it but that doesn't make it right.
Finally as a writer who often appeals to the pre-Magisterial Reformation Protestants I feel compelled to address the question of Waldensian women preachers. You will often find this mentioned in history books. Some do so with a sort of praiseworthy implication, suggesting they were ahead of their time in more ways than merely their rejection of Roman Catholicism.
As is usually the case, it's not so simple. When the names of Waldensian preachers are given, they never include women. None of the leaders seem to have been women. So what's happening? I cannot be absolutely sure as I don't really believe there was a monolithic Waldensianism but rather Waldensianisms... different groups who shared common traits centred around problems with Rome and a call to rely on the Scriptures for authority. Some groups took this more seriously than others.
Others lived in more dire circumstances than others. It's not hard to imagine that underground life afforded or even necessitated occasions for Waldensian women to teach, especially other groups of women and children. The latter example might be called preaching and it is of a kind, but it's not the same. I'm not saying it's right or ideal but I'm saying it's easy to imagine it developing. There are modern parallels. Did some Waldensian women teach mixed groups of both men and women? It's possible but from what I've read I believe the records are somewhat ambiguous on this point. The idea that women and men were absolutely equal in their community is fallacious. Again, where are the women leaders? When they gathered were they just as happy to have a woman preach as a man? I see no indication of it. Where are the women barbes, the itinerant pastors? Given the designation is masculine and there seems to be no suggestion of a female equivalent is telling. I would argue that so-called Waldensian 'women' preachers is based (at least in part) upon a misunderstanding and did not constitute what many people seem to suggest.
Women have a glorious role to fulfill in Christ's Church but formal teaching isn't one of them. Christian womanhood precludes a non-domestic career.
These are ideals. The real world is often messy. There are viable questions about women who are barren, celibate, as of yet unmarried, empty nesters, widows and single mothers. These questions in some cases can be easily answered but often the answers are dissatisfactory and are thus all but summarily rejected. Others allow exceptions to become the rule. In other cases there are no good answers and thus the Church must do all it can to help. Ideally single mothers would marry if they can. Sometimes they may be barred from re-marriage due to the circumstances of the divorce or separation. In that case they will have a hard row to hoe and yet if they wish to maintain their testimony they must reject the temptations of feminism and certainly its values. They must testify and witness to the world, the Church and certainly their children. And the Church needs to do its part and yet is (for the most part) unwilling as such an ideological turn would open the financial floodgates and necessarily change the way in which the Church presently disperses its funds.
I would urge Biblically minded Christians to re-think these issues.

Continue reading: The Feminist Surge (An Addendum)

*Can a wife never leave her husband and kids? Some think so but I don't. In some cases my sister-in-law wants to go shopping and wants my wife to come along. I don't want to go and yet I know my wife wants to go and will enjoy the experience as well as the time with her sister. Due to where we live they'll be gone for many hours and I (and perhaps some kids) will be left on our own for dinner etc. I wouldn't want it to be a regular occurrence but occasionally it's fine and I would rather let her enjoy the day (and check the box) than have me tagging along making her stressed and me miserable.
I know some women who would never do this under any circumstance and I know others who would be angered at the very suggestion that there might be a problem with it. I reject both views.