12 November 2010

Shame not honour

This was posted by L. Vance at the LewRockwell Blog. Interesting quote. Sometimes that's what it takes to open someone's eyes. Thankfully I wasn't flying missions over Iraq, but during my time in the American Forces I certainly was not free of blood-guilt. I was part of the machine and just two steps aways from the guys pushing the buttons and dropping the bombs. It was an eye-opener and when I realized what we were doing and what it was really all about, just like this fellow...it made me sick.

I tossed my uniforms and medals long ago. I am not proud to be a veteran and am ashamed to have worn the uniform, but Christ forgives and in the end...I cannot tell you how many valuable lessons I learned during that time. They weren't the lessons the American Military was trying to teach me, quite the opposite, but I learned much.

And participating in the Church in that context, I experienced many eye-openers. I began to see many things as I watched not only America being merged with the Church, but in the context you find the American Military merged with the Church. Peter and Paul would have been amazed at some of the things I saw!


Here's the Vance post.....


November 11, 2010

An Air Force Veteran Speaks Out

Posted by Laurence Vance on November 11, 2010 08:26 PM

“I flew many missions for Southern Watch only to later find out I was helping enforce a blockade that was starving and sickening the people of Iraq. I flew hundreds of sorties for ‘Enduring Freedom’ and ‘Iraqi Freedom’ (those names are a sick joke). I personally supervised the expenditure of millions and millions of dollars, and put the lives of some damn fine people at risk. What arrogant stupidity on my part. Before that I sat nuclear alert with a plane full of the most terrible weapons you could imagine. It is my dread that Christ will hold this against me as he likewise did to King David for being a ‘man of war.’ Now I counsel young people to stay out of the military and try to explain to others what these endless wars are all about. ”