25 March 2013

Holy Week 2013

I've been so busy (actually far too busy) I forgot it's 'Holy Week'. That means it's time to re-post some old links appropriate to the season. Down the left side of the main page there's a 'holiday' section where I've left these up all the time. Many will have already read them. Some will read them and probably be a bit offended.

If so, please read 'The Temptation of the Tactile' and the last link about the spirit in which I say all of this. It will help you understand where I'm coming from. If you're coming out of mainstream evangelicalism some of my views regarding the holidays will seem especially strange. But as you will see, even if you don't agree with me, there's both historical precedent and a Biblical case for my position. You still may think I'm completely wrong, but I can almost guarantee it will get you thinking a bit.

Easter and Holy Week Part 1

Easter and Holy Week Part 2 - Binding the Conscience

The Temptation of the Tactile

Easter- Supplemental Discussion

The Spirit in which I say these things....

5 comments:

Phil vvz said...

Everything here makes me think. Cant say I always agree but if your trying to make readers think then a job well done. I give you that much

Protoprotestant said...

Thanks

Protoprotestant said...

The confusion reigns supreme at this time of year. All the 'churches' are so desperate to get people in they resort to anything...any gimmick or trick.

One local church is 'recreating' DaVinci's Last Supper. You go up in turn and pose as one of the Apostles at the table and receive communion. I'm sure the mobile phone cameras will be a'flashin.

I'm also amazed at the number of churches that are going the Judaizing route and having Passover Seders etc...

Paganizing and Judaizing all at once. American Evangelicalism is the Neo-Roman Catholic church in the New Rome.

My wife remembers the dilemma in the Baptist church she grew up in. Easter is kind of a 'high holy' day and so you want to have the Lord's Supper. You don't care so much about it the rest of the year but during the warm fuzzy times like Easter and Christmas you want to have it. But it's also at those two times of the year that you've funneled in a bunch of unbelievers. And so now you're serving communion to a bunch of people that shouldn't be having it.

Of course this also just points to the overwhelming confusion regarding the Lord's Supper, what Church is for etc... etc...

It's all a mess but the problems become particularly poignant at these times.

Anonymous said...

So I assume you didn't go too ballistic when Google Doodle recognized Cesar Chavez, instead of the risen Lord, on Easter Sunday. Sacralists were obviously outraged.

Protoprotestant said...

Google probably figures that if they're going to start doing the Christian holidays (I think they did xmas)....then they'll have to start doing others as well?

Maybe they're being stinky. I don't know.

But yes the Sacral outrage is rather misguided, as usual.

Personally I'm just outraged that as of Monday Cadbury Eggs and Peeps will be hard to find!