16 June 2018

Caesar's Coin and the Demise of Transactional Autonomy (Part 3)


One is reminded of the 2009 film The International wherein two low-to-mid level bureaucrats attempt to investigate and challenge the state-corporate power represented by international banking.  The movie has been noted for its cinematography wherein small figures are often juxtaposed with large overbearing architecture. It's meant to amplify and accentuate the virtual impossibility of the little man taking on the machine. In the movie the crusading bureaucrats (an Interpol agent and a state level district attorney) are all but crushed by the overwhelming power of the corrupt Western system.


As I watched the movie, I thought if relatively low-level bureaucrats have no hope in challenging the system, what hope does a non-conformist have?
And yet in a sense this is our calling as Christians. We're not here to 'take on' the system but to witness against it and glorify God by following the path of Christ. We have a choice, we either step back and maintain our integrity, bearing witness against the Satanic world order (as the New Testament puts it) or we can join the system and profit from it. The logic is as follows, since someone is going to do it regardless, it might as well be me. I can't fix the world. Or to put it more bluntly, someone's going to make a 'buck' on it, it might as well be me.
Thankfully that is not the ethic of Christianity. It was not a course pursued by either Christ or His Apostles. The Early Church understood this but the message and the ethic have been largely lost. For all its calls to return to Scripture the Reformation did not recapture this principle and in seeking to reform the system became but another expression of it.
How far does one take this? Should Christians avoid the law, the corporate sector, the insurance industry and the financial sector?
I cannot tell fellow brothers and sisters what to do. Each case is different. For me the answers are fairly clear and yet for others such categories of thinking are wholly alien. Like it or not we can't wholly avoid them.
At the very least we should avoid actions and pursuits motivated by avarice and/or vengeance. This principle alone is instructive and possibly life-altering. We can close our eyes and work as bureaucrats in these industries (as some I know do), taking nice paychecks fed from the exploitative system or we can stand on principle but that may mean that we never 'make it'. It might mean the American (Western) dream is not only a lie but closed to anyone guided by Christian ethics.
Some readers, the few that have persevered to this point will groan by the burdensome and even earth-shattering notion that I'm suggesting. Is this upsetting? If so, why? Should it even matter?
I was thinking about this the other day as I chatted with a client, one I have worked for on-and-off for more than twenty years. I've watched his kids grow up and he was talking about the cost of living, holidays, paying for college, a wedding, retirement etc... Internally I was chuckling because this guy has effectively written my weekly paycheck for extended periods of time over these past couple of decades. I usually end up working for him at least once a year and in some cases for weeks (or even a couple of months) at a time. He knows what I make and he knows that my wife doesn't work outside the home. And yet he's obviously never reflected on it or put two and two together. If he did he would realise he inhabits a world that is alien to me. Everything he was talking about, and all his lamentations regarding costs are ones I do not share. They're not even on the table or in the realm of possibility.
I know his house very well and it's rather nice. He would be horrified and offended by where I live. Holidays? At best we take an overnight trip somewhere every couple of years and we do it on the cheap... most people would be rather unsatisfied by the experience I can assure you. I don't have a dime to give my kids for college and this may sound strange to some but that doesn't bother me in the least. I have no retirement account and I don't care to have one. I have nothing to invest in future weddings. If we invest anything it will be time in producing hand-crafted decorations or whatever. My living room wedding cost next to nothing and neither my wife nor I have ever regretted it. I say all this not to brag, earn pity or anything else. Rather I say this simply to point out that the middle class world and values this client represents are wholly at odds with both the ideals and practicalities I live by. He probably pities me but would be astonished to discover that not only do I not admire him but I actually pity him. He has lived a life wasted.
So what? Well, it's just this. This man is a professing Christian and I know that the lifestyle which governs him is by his estimations a 'Christian' one. He believes he's being a good Christian by being respectable and prosperous. His financial are career decisions are to him expressions of a work ethic, stewardship and responsibility. As I've pointed out to my own children he and his wife (if they knew us on a more personal level) would actually view us as immoral people, bad parents, bad Christians because we live the way we do and aren't able to 'provide' for our kids they way they do. It's not surprising he only has two kids. If you follow the world's wisdom, that's probably all he could afford. Once I knew a couple that made well over $100,000 a year and yet they were convinced they could only 'afford' to have one child. They were such awful parents that thankfully (for society) that one is all they had.
This businessman that I have unfortunately been obligated to work for these many years would be unwilling and offended to follow through on what I've been talking about here. He couldn't build his businesses because without the system and its protections, his money, his investments would be at risk.
After saying all that some will ask, how then do I have any integrity if I work for him? And I will grant they have a point and it's one that continually burdens me. I often am forced to work for people that source their income in sectors I object to. I sell my services and at times it makes me kind of sick. On the one hand I can't police everyone's money and often I don't know that much about them when I take on a job. Unfortunately (in one sense)due to the nature of the work you tend to 'get to know' people as you work for them and in time I find out they're a lawyer, investor, retired military etc... and no, it doesn't please me. And yet what does that leave us? We can be farmers. We can be involved in cottage industry. Once viable options, the Industrial Revolution, (something once celebrated and championed by dominion-taking culturally mandated Protestants) has all but eliminated these economic models.
At the end of the day, the coin is Caesars. For us it's a means to an end. All our dealings with the world will be corruption and to some degree we will (like it or not) be forced into the Beast machine. The industrial age, its destruction of the village and transactional autonomy has all but guaranteed this. Technology and computers have virtually absolutised this reality. Industrialisation and the economic system it spawned have quite literally taken the Beast-system and its potential to a new level. The technology is changing so fast it's hard to imagine where it's going next. We needn't panic but we need to remain highly vigilant.
What to do? Survive. That's all we can do. Survive with integrity or at least as much as we can muster. But flourish? Find solace and respectability... success? Embrace all the latest gadget-fads and new ways of living?
I think not.
In the meantime let's seek to understand what has happened and why. How did all this come about? Why are things the way they are? I will say this. Once you divorce yourself from the mindset and categories of the world when it comes to money and our relationship to Caesar's coin and the system which undergirds it, you will certainly feel with greater acuity the alienation and exilic status that is the Christian life. And hopefully you will have a better understanding of the world and our place in it. The statements and assessments of many will seem trivial and foolish, sometimes even difficult to endure. But instead of fostering pride, the burden of such knowledge should humble us and shift our thoughts and affections.
See also: